Friday, April 15, 2011

Which of God's commands is repeated most often in the Bible?


Moses and the Ten
Commandments
by Rembrandt 1659
Clues: 
NOT one of the ten commandments
NOT love your neighbor
NOT be holy

Answer:  Do not fear, don't be afraid!
(of course, this is only based on my personal study, please check for yourself and let me know what you find)

Why does God repeat this command so often?  Maybe because we really need to listen.  Maybe because we are all addicted to fear.  Maybe because we are all enslaved to fear.  {think about it...be honest}

Many times, when God commands his people, "Do not fear," he backs it up with the promise, "I am with you."

 
The Prophet Isaiah
by Rembrandt 1639
Isaiah 41:10, Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

 Isaiah 43:1-3, But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you.  For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior.'

Joshua 1:9, Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Jeremiah Lamenting the
Destruction of Jerusalem
by Rembrandt 1630
Jeremiah 1:7-8, But the LORD said to me: "Do not say, 'I am a youth,' For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak.  Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you," says the LORD.

Acts 18:9-10, Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, 'Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent; for I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city.'

One of my favorite names of Jesus is Emmanuel:  God With Us (Matthew 1:23).  If Christ is living in us then God is with us all the time, everywhere we go, everything we do.  We can't get away from God.  And more than that, God has sent his own Spirit to dwell in us (John 14:17).  God is with us personally, permanently, and powerfully. 

Therefore, do not fear, God is with usDon't be afraid, God will never leave us.

As we celebrate Easter, let's celebrate Jesus who rose again from the dead victorious over sin, Satan, and death.  Let's celebrate Jesus who rose again from the dead and now lives in us.  Let's celebrate Jesus who rose again from the dead and now sent his Spirit to dwell in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment