Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Are you my Mother?


Do you remember that great children's book called, Are You My Mother?

I thought of it today as I was reviewing the Jita translation of the Gospel of Mark. There's a story in Mark chapter 3 about Jesus' mother and brothers coming to talk to him because they were afraid he'd lost his mind. The Bible says, 

Then Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, “Your mother and your brothers are outside asking for you.” Jesus replied, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” Then he looked at those around him and said, “Look, these are my mother and brothers. Anyone who does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”

The Jita language uses three different words for "mother," depending on context. When the narrator says, "his mother," the Jita has {nyiramwene}. When the people say, "your mother," the Jita has {nyokomwana}. And when Jesus says, "my mother," the Jita has {maayi}.

We need to check the context very carefully to make sure that we are translating God's Word clearly, accurately, and naturally. Please keep praying for us! 


No comments:

Post a Comment