Saturday, January 22, 2011

Nostril-freezing cold

The temperature in Musoma, Tanzania today was a comfortable 72 degrees.  However, in the Arctic north (aka Minnesota), this is what we saw.  {these images have not been altered in any way, the truth is shocking enough}


At 4:00pm it was -10 degrees...and that's not even factoring the windchill!


By 7:00pm we were down to -20 degrees.  (just wait, it gets worse)

Oh yeah, -30 degrees at 10:00pm. 


And finally, well you can see for yourself.  At 4:30am my mom was awake and noticed this wonder of nature. 
If you listen very carefully you can hear "pops" outside when pockets of warm air collide with objects...what!?!  Is this science fiction?  Where are we?  I guess this is where I grew up.  My parents say, "oh it's not so bad, my nostrils haven't frozen together yet."  I wonder, does it even get this cold on the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro?  We're thankful that the people of Minnesota have such warm hearts.  Thanks friends, we'll see you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment